Friday morning started with a crazy Sushi crave, ending with some thoughts on how strange my Sushi can turn out.
A strangewich is not just strange ingredients stuffed between 2 slices of bread or inside a bun, toasted, left fresh or grilled.
Strangewiches can also be the gluten free brothers/sisters sandwiches – SUSHI!
So I took my Sushi dinner to the next level –Strange-Sushi!
Strange Sushi Recipe - Must TryPrint This
- 1. Strawberries
- 2. Avocado
- 3. Yellow –(hard) cheese
- 4. Salmon
- 5. Chopped chives for the topping
- 6. Wasabi
- Use a sharp knife to cut your sushi and remember the stranger your Sushi, the happier your life will be
Here are the basics of sushi making:
- Rinse the rice multiple times – 5 if possible
- Keep a 115% ratio between rice and water
- After the rice is cooked, set it to cool before adding the flavor ingredients
- Here are the flavor ingredients and what you need to do:
For every 2 cups of uncooked rice:
– 1/2 cup rice vinegar
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1/4 cup white sugar
In a small saucepan, combine the rice vinegar, oil, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Cool, then stir into the cooked rice. When you pour this in to the rice it will seem very wet. Keep stirring and the rice will dry as it cools
- Make sure it is high-quality nori!!! Don’t be cheap when it comes to your Sushi!
- Cut the nori so you have 2 pieces 70/30 (use the bigger piece to prepare the Sushi roll)
Rice on nori
- I like to keep the width of the rice section at no more than 2-3 rice grains
- Don’t crush the rice – be gentle with it J
- Leave an inch on one end and add half an inch to the end of the nori, so the rice exceeds the nori